Sign up Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi guys! As advised by the gastroenterologist, I got anorectal manometry done. The doctor who did the procedure told me that I contract the anal muscles instead of relaxing while having bowel movement, this causes incomplete evacuation & that is why I have to pass the stools several (usually 4-5) times a day.

Below are the findings of the report:

1. Anal sphincter length is approximately 4 cm (shorter than the normal length I guess)

2. Rectoanal inhibitory reflex [RAIR] is present.

3. On bearing down he paradoxically contracts his anal sphincter instead of relaxing it and has poor rectal propulsive forces [<40mmHg] which is suggestive of "Dyssynergic defecation". He is unable to expel a 50cc balloon in 60 secs. Biofeedback sessions for anal sphincter relaxation exercises maybe beneficial.

The doctor has advised me to go for biofeedback. I googled a bit & found that biofeedback is the most effective treatment method for dyssynergic defecation but from a survey on patientslikeme I found that this treatment method isn't that effective instead people got benefited from a method like physical therapy.

Have got a few questions now:

I. Is it only the dyssynergic defecation which causes me to have 4-5 bowel movements daily, poor apetite etc or something else like IBS as well is present (I don't have symptoms of any kind of pain)?

II. What is the reason of blood being seen stuck to the stool (sometimes)? Is it Infectious colitis (I had got colonoscopy & biopsy done a few months back as I used to get to see blood stuck to the stools on regular basis, infectious colitis was the diagnosis. The doctor prescribed me anti-biotics for a period of two weeks & since then I rarely get to see the blood but it hasn't disappeared completely) or dyssynergic defection or something mild like anal fissure?

III. Shall I go for biofeedback or try something else like physical therapy?

Kindly guide me. Thanks in advance.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-20 at 9.38.52 PM.jpeg 


Posts: 1,131
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi there

Unfortunately members on this forum are not medically qualified and can’t advise you with regard to this. You may wish to call the BHUK office in the morning and see if they can recommend a physical therapist you could talk to about this. I assume your gastroenterologist has also recommended a physical therapist to help you further.

You may want to contact the following organisation below who could help further. They are uk based and have a closed private Facebook group where you can discuss your concerns too.


Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the help 😉
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This Forum is provided by Bladder Health UK and is intended as a place for Sufferers of Interstitial Cystitis, Bacterial Cystitis and Over Active Bladder, together with their family & friends to gather, online in a positive exchange.

BHUK is not a medical body & do not claim to have medical knowledge. It is not the intention of BHUK to provide specific medical advice, but to provide users with information to better understand their health & to manage their suffering.

Specific medical advice will not be provided & BHUK strongly advises that you consult your GP/Consultant/Urologist for professional advice.

We would hope that users of these forums will conduct themselves in a courteous and respectful manner. Any conduct not consistent with this standard will be deleted immediately and the poster may be restricted and/or terminated without warning.