Sign up Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 
I have been battling this for ages.  I have had numerous UTI's or bladder infections in the past many years and many have shown blood in them.  No one seems concerned.  Twice now I have had enough blood that it shows on the toilet tissue.  Last week there was enough that it spotted my underwear.  (Sorry to be so graphic). They send it off to culture and nothing. I went to a specialist who says I inflammation, not infection, which makes sense if the cultures don't show anything.

However, I can't seem to find any information about blood in the urine without it being caused by infection or kidney stones.  I also have a fairly large cyst at my left kidney.  I don't think that has anything to do with this though.  I'm just at a loss on what to do.  I've have CT scans and lots of antibiotics plus lots of doctor visits.  Any suggestions would be welcome


Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #2 
I have the same problem, I have severe bouts of really painful cystitis regularly and whenever I get these flare ups I send a urine sample into my GP practice and they only show traces of blood but no leukocytes or nitrites which are the common indications of UTI. But the GPs at my surgery continue to give me antibiotics! And won't refer me to a urologist until I complete a 3 month course of antibiotics which I am 1 month into, however I'm still getting cystitis and still have blood in my urine but have only been given yet a another course of antibiotics! I am at the end of my tether with this and it is ruining my life! How do I push my GP practice to refer me to a urologist?

Posts: 990
Reply with quote  #3 
Hello Joped88 and Rubyslipper

Welcome to our forums! You will find a wealth of information here and a very supportive on-line community of bladder illness sufferers.

I would suggest that you also join the COB Foundation if you have not already done so to take advantage of the full range of information we can provide you with.

Joped88 - it is disappointing that your GP is not willing to refer you to a specialist at this stage. I experienced a similar problem and found it useful to take along some of the information COB provided me with to show the GP. COB is aware that this is a particular problem for new sufferers and as a result, we have recently released an educational video for GPs which gives them information on when to refer a patient. This is available to view on the home page of our website if you would like to have a look.

Rubyslipper - I sometimes have blood in my urine with an IC flare, however, it is not visible blood. It does seem as if you have had some investigations but nothing which has put your mind at rest - have you had a cystoscopy at all? Some of our members with similar symptoms have had more extensive testing with one of two consultants based in the UK who offer broth culturing - is this something you might wish to pursue? If so, please e-mail me at and I will be happy to give you their details.

Susannah Fraser

for Bladder Health UK

Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #4 


I was suffering from burning and pain whenever I tried to pass water and have been on several antibiotics, I have also had a cystoscopy carried out.

I did some research on the internet and by chance discovered Waterfall D Mannose.  It has worked for me, I no longer suffer like I used to and I take the powder form whenever I require it.  It is about £20 for a 50gm of powder but this should last between 2-3 weeks initially.  It stopped my burning, my anxiousness and everything else that goes with this complaint.  You can also take the powder an hour before sex and half an hour later to stop any symptoms recurring and if they do just take the powder ever 3/4 hours.

Look up this product on Google and you will see experiences from others.  I prefer to use the powder as there is no binding agent in it which is required to make tablets. 

I hope this works for you as well as it has for me.  Good luck. x

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This Forum is provided by Bladder Health UK and is intended as a place for Sufferers of Interstitial Cystitis, Bacterial Cystitis and Over Active Bladder, together with their family & friends to gather, online in a positive exchange.

BHUK is not a medical body & do not claim to have medical knowledge. It is not the intention of BHUK to provide specific medical advice, but to provide users with information to better understand their health & to manage their suffering.

Specific medical advice will not be provided & BHUK strongly advises that you consult your GP/Consultant/Urologist for professional advice.

We would hope that users of these forums will conduct themselves in a courteous and respectful manner. Any conduct not consistent with this standard will be deleted immediately and the poster may be restricted and/or terminated without warning.