Sign up Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all,

Just got home from my first cystoscopy and I was told my urinary tract is very narrow. My doctor told me that I should take Vasran XL for it.

Having come home and read the information leaflet, it explicitly states that it's "not to be used in women". The leaflet only talks about the prostate gland.

Have any women ever had this prescribed???



Posts: 1,847
Reply with quote  #2 
Hello Katie

Personally,I strongly suggest you contact your pharmacist and your Doctor or secretary.

I understand it can assist men with restricted flow caused by prostate, but as leaflet  emphasises Not to be used by women. Please get confirmation before starting.

you may also wish to contact BKUK office, and ask their advise also.

Kind regards


Posts: 3
Reply with quote  #3 

Hi Kate,

Thanks for your reply. 

My GP is slightly concerned about potential interactions with the Pill and isn't sure how much effect it will have for a women. She said if it was her she wouldn't take it.

Am I right to feel disappointed? I've been on daily Cefalexin 250 since April as my urologist directed. I went in for a checkup at 3 months as I was still getting cystitis and was advised that antibiotics were not a long term option. The registrar (not my Dr) submitted me for a cystoscopy and said that bladder instillations would be my best option.

My Dr turns up today and clearly cannot remember me nor has he read my notes as he started saying that after the procedure he would probably consider putting me on daily antibiotics. I told him I was 7 months in. 

I woke up and he said my urethra was extremely narrow and that he performed a dilation and that my bladder was contracting. 

He then gave me the Vasran tablets without explaining and gave me an appointment for February 2018!!!

I feel really upset and confused.

Any help/ opinions appreciated.
Katie x 


Posts: 1,088
Reply with quote  #4 
I genuinely don't know where to start with this as you have had such awful treatment.  Your GP is completely right to question the medication prescribed and it may be a good idea for her to write to your specialist asking why there is the need for this medication given that it is for prostate issues and whether there are any studies available that has shown it has been prescribed to women with beneficial effect. If you have a good relationship with your GP, I am sure she will want to help with this.

The attitude of the two doctors involved in your urology care is not helpful and I can understand how distressed and concerned you are. I assume you were referred by your GP because of ongoing cystitis symptoms despite tests showing negative and only occasionally proven.  The low dose abs simply won't help at all, they are not of a sufficient dosage to significantly reduce or eradicate an infection but are more likely to stun bacteria allowing resistance issues to bubble up.  The narrowed urethra could be down to urethral inflammation as a result of infection but hopefully the dilation may help to improve the flow.  When you urinated pre surgery, did urine spray in different directions or the stream was stop start?

One of the first things you need to do is ensure that any infection doesn't bubble up post surgery because of instrumentation use.  Your GP may be loathed to prescribe abs but if symptoms flare up get to her asap and get a sample off for testing.  You have had surgery and post surgery infection is very, very common.  Make sure the sample is really concentrated so first urination of the day or ideally the first two urinations of the day mixed into one sample.  Bacteria and associated infection markers often don't show until the bladder wall has been stimulated by the act of urination and the associated bladder muscle contractions to do this expelling bacteria and white blood cells into the urine.

I'm not entirely sure what the term "the bladder is contracting" entirely means.  Does it mean you have a low bladder capacity or that the bladder on filling and emptying is contracting properly?  Again I would ask your GP to get the specialist to clarify what this means in terms of a diagnosis so that appropriate treatment can be organised.  

The key priority over the next few days or so is to ensure no post op infection so keep the bladder flushed with lots of water and rest as much as possible.  If this does happen, get a sample to the GP asap and there are natural options you can take to help whilst waiting on the results and the BHUK office can advise on these with factsheets if you call them (or you can do a search online in these forums).

If the specialist won't respond to your GP's letter, you may want to think about a further referral to another urologist or uro gynaecologist at a different hospital for a second opinion but think very closely about having more invasive procedures.  One should be enough unless any growths, stones, or possible cancerous tissue has been found.  In your case it sounds like this is not the case and hopefully the one dilation will be sufficient.

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This Forum is provided by Bladder Health UK and is intended as a place for Sufferers of Interstitial Cystitis, Bacterial Cystitis and Over Active Bladder, together with their family & friends to gather, online in a positive exchange.

BHUK is not a medical body & do not claim to have medical knowledge. It is not the intention of BHUK to provide specific medical advice, but to provide users with information to better understand their health & to manage their suffering.

Specific medical advice will not be provided & BHUK strongly advises that you consult your GP/Consultant/Urologist for professional advice.

We would hope that users of these forums will conduct themselves in a courteous and respectful manner. Any conduct not consistent with this standard will be deleted immediately and the poster may be restricted and/or terminated without warning.