Register Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,

Just after some info/advice please.

I was under a Urologist at a local hospital, the hospital care wasn't good though and I felt unsupported and the hospital suggested I be transferred to another larger hospital nearby for a second opinion and possibly advances in treatment maybe.

Today I got an appointment through for the new hospital but they have put me in a combined clinic of Urology and Gynaecology, the gent i am seeing is a Urogynaecologist and I was surprised to hear this, not sure if its a good thing or bad thing?

Is there anyone who can offer any advice/info on what is a Urogynaecologist and why I have been put under his care as opposed to a Urologist?

(For info I have suspected painful bladder syndrome, main symtoms frequency effecting my life)

Thanks so much in advance for any comments[smile]

Posts: 1,033
Reply with quote  #2 
A uro gynaecologist is someone who is essentially a combination of a urologist and gynaecologist and is usually seen where there may be a crossover between urological and gynaecological problems. Painful bladder syndrome can often have a gynaecological influence through hormone problems, pelvic floor issues, vaginal or rectal prolapse, issues after childbirth and the pelvic floor nerve system is closely associated with the bladder and urinary system. Uro gynaes regularly see people with IC or PBS so don't worry if you are seeing him as opposed to a urologist.

Posts: 85
Reply with quote  #3 
Urogynaecologists are great they tend to treat the pelvic area as a whole rather than urologists who just focus on the bladder x

Verified BHUK Member
Posts: 37
Reply with quote  #4 
The one I see is a million times better than the Urologists I saw at the Urology Clinic in Canterbury, and he's working from my local hospital at QEQM.  I couldn't be happier with the transfer! There's nothing for you to be worried about.

Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for your replies to my post, unfortunately things haven't quite worked out as i thought - I received the confirmation letter from the hospital for a totally different date and time for over a month after they told me on the phone and it's for a urologist instead of a urogynaecologist!! - I called and asked what had gone on and they apologised as it seems they looked at the wrong persons details on the screen when they told me my initial appointment details - so I am now seeing a urologist in 3 months time 😕 I am upset that it's more time to wait, it always happens to me, The only positive is that I have been put under a female specialist, I am calling everyday now to try and check for cancellations as my IC is really bad at the moment, just upset about the mix up and delay x

Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

This Forum is provided by Bladder Health UK and is intended as a place for Sufferers of Interstitial Cystitis, Bacterial Cystitis and Over Active Bladder, together with their family & friends to gather, online in a positive exchange.

BHUK is not a medical body & do not claim to have medical knowledge. It is not the intention of BHUK to provide specific medical advice, but to provide users with information to better understand their health & to manage their suffering.

Specific medical advice will not be provided & BHUK strongly advises that you consult your GP/Consultant/Urologist for professional advice.

We would hope that users of these forums will conduct themselves in a courteous and respectful manner. Any conduct not consistent with this standard will be deleted immediately and the poster may be restricted and/or terminated without warning.